photo shop_zps4e91b29b.jpg  photo about_zpsab9889c9.jpg  photo contact_zpsf03ef059.jpg  photo Untitled-2_zps43e03738.jpg

Friday 28 September 2012

Orange Chai Bubble Tea

Do you remember my strawberry bubble tea post? Well this is a continuation of my exploration (that kind of rhymed?) in bubble tea making. I hope you like this recipe guys! It's my favourite bubble tea attempt so far.

I've always been a big Chai Latte fan. When I became a vegan I could no longer have the packet stuff that I loved so much, so I began mixing my own Chai style recipes. I've never tried or even heard of iced Chai lattes, so I did wonder if my iced bubble chai would end up tasting like feet. Luckily it tasted pretty effing good and now I'm hooked!

I also remembered to buy the proper straws this time! It was so much easier to drink.


Ingredients (serves 2 people):
1/2 cup quick cook tapioca pearls

400ml Rice milk (you can use almond, soy, normal milk too)
100ml coconut cream
100ml coconut milk (for a lighter recipe omit the cream and use 200ml coconut milk)
2 bags of black tea
5 tbsp agave nectar (you can use honey instead)
2 cinnamon sticks
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
The zest of half an orange
A thumb size amount of fresh ginger (roughly chopped)
Ice

Method:

1. Boil 5 cups of water in a saucepan. Once boiled add the tapioca pearls & stir gently. When the tapioca pearls fatten up cover the saucepan and leave to simmer for 5 mins. For none quick cook tapioca pearls follow instructions on packet. Once the tapioca pearls are cooked, drain them & mix with 2 tablespoons agave and 2 tablespoons hot water. Leave to cool

2. Heat the rice milk, coconut milk & cream in a saucepan until simmering.

3. Add the black tea bags, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, orange zest, fresh ginger and 3 tbsp agave. Mix and leave to simmer for 5 mins.

4. Once the milky mixture has been simmered for 5 mins, leave it to one side to cool. Once cooled drain the mixture into a jug, sieving out all of the ginger, orange & cinnamon bits.

5. Divide the cooled tapioca pearls into two glasses. Add a few ice cubes and pour the milky chai mixture on top. Serve with a large bubble tea straw.






12 comments:

  1. Bubble tea is MY FAVORITE! I have never tried to make it at home though, do you get the tapioca at just a regular grocery store?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I order it off Ebay, Bubble tea hasn't really got popular in England yet so that's the only place I've found to buy them!xx

      Delete
  2. This sounds DELICIOUS! We are actually lucky enough to have a café that's super close by and serves ALL KINDS of bubble tea. It's like their thing. I've only gotten to try 1 of them but maybe I'll make a trip there and do a tasting! This post has me in the mood for it, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was so glad to find a local coffee shop that offered bubble tea. i'm so bad in the kitchen - with ANYTHING. looks awesome, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowza! sound amazing! I will be making this :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. yum!! i have always wondered how to make bubble tea, and i assume it was super difficult... i might have to pick up some pearls from the asian market and try my hand at this... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually way easier than it seems! And so worth the time it takes to make it xx

      Delete
  6. This sounds delicious!!! I am a huuuuge fan of bubble tea and I had no idea how to make it at home. Thank you very much for sharing this, I'll surely try it out at home! This would save me a lot of money, actually - and I can't imagine the joy of having bubble tea at any given moment :)
    xxx,
    Lilla
    http://lilycupcake.blogspot.co.at

    ReplyDelete
  7. mmmm come make this for me! it looks super yummy! i have none of the ingredients on hand though :(
    <3 katherine
    of corgis and cocktails

    ReplyDelete
  8. What, what! You make your own bubble tea? That is ridiculously awesome! The funny thing is, I've never thought to make my own. It's just one of those things. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy! I thought it would take ages to make or something. I'm making it on at least a weekly basis now!
      xxx

      Delete
  9. ooooooh i want it !!! just found you on the quiet owl's blog and so happy i did ! heartandthrift.blogspot.com i am going to explore every cranny of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete